4.15.2007

Hawthorne Fish House

Last night, I went to the Hawthorne Fish House with my wife, my kid and my mother-in-law. I went with great expectations, for I've heard nothing but good things about this place. And, the food is good, but it wasn't as good as I had built it up in my mind.

The decor is kind of drab...but a lot of places with good food have a not-so-nice look about them. I ordered the jumbo size catfish, with the jalapeno tarter sauce (which WAS VERY good). But before the fish arrived, I started with three oyster shooters. Now, those oysters were HUGE...which was great. They were the largest shooters I've ever had. And, they were good, but not quite as good as the oyster shooters at Montage. But I can't complain too much, as it was $3.00 or 3.

Then came the catfish. Tasty, but a bit dry. My wife and mother-in-law shared an order of the Halibut. The Halibut was better. My wife loves the fact that they us rice flour and the rice bran oil. She didn't feel guilty at all, unlike the other place we go to very regularly...Halibut's over on NE Alberta. All in all, I feel that Halibut's fish is better. Yes, Halibut's is expensive. Yes, Halibut's is small and kind of dingy. Yes, there may be issues with the waitstaff and the owner at Halibut's. Yes, Halibut's fish uses trans fat oil. But, I have never had a bad piece of fish at Halibut's and I have always been full and satisfied.

The waitstaff at Hawthrorne Fish House was terrific.

So, I liked Hawthorne Fish House. I will go back. It's just not the best fish fry I have ever had.

No comments: